Friday, August 7, 2009

Yet another piece of stone

OSIM International Triathlon 2009.
Olympic Distance; 1.5km swim, 40km cycle & 10km run.
With my buddy, Mok a.k.a. Ben (as I saw on his tag).
4 hours 1 minute 40 seconds & 4 hours 1 minute 48 seconds.
Timing was as what we calculated, after collecting our race pack.

The evening we got our race pack, we almost decided not to turn up for this particular event. The reason being the start time for our category is at 1200hrs, when the sun is blazing up high in the sun and the air is warm! Definitely this would not be beneficial to any of us in that category.
And adding on to that, the Rules & Regulation stated that we have to check-in to the Transistion Area (TA) at 0830hrs. And so that means we have got 3 hours to wait!
What a turn-off.
After dinner that evening, I told Mok that we shall go for the event & not waste SGD$133.75 for a race pack that did not contain much. So much for being Singaporeans eh. :)

Alright, race day came & I have to admit that I did not do much carbo-loading; there was not any excitement in me for this race. It wasn't like the past events that I did. Shrugs.

Arrived at about 0830hrs and checked into TA, placed our stuffs and hanged around to look at the Elite participants racing their way through. We were like lost sheeps.
We noticed that there weren't many participants for our category and as time passed, we realised that both of us could actually have came in at a time nearer to our start time!
How did we know? We went to ask if we can return back to the TA at 1100hrs as we wanted to go and get some food. To make us jump, the staff said yes we can! How nice.

1200hrs came and we were ready. Standing on the beach at the Start Point, the 1.5km swim awaits us. 2 rounds of 750m swim, with a short run from the exit point to the entry point for the second round.
I found the swim relatively easy as I clocked 4ominutes for that leg. I admit that I did not prepare much for the swim and I breast-stroked most of the time. It took me a while to get used to swimming in murky waters and with the current against us for the longer part of the 750m, I had to get myself as one with the sea. SURFBOARD I am, getting in-sync with the sea, I found it easier to swim.
But I lost Mok in the 1st round.

Emerging from the waters, a slow jog to the TA and I rested and refuelled while waiting for Mok to start the cycling leg.
Right from the start of the cycle leg, Mok & I broke contact.
Keeping track of the number of rounds was a chore and I had to keep recounting to make sure that I did not do less or more! I had to ask a fellow cyclist that if it's 6 bloody rounds that we have to complete, just to make sure.
To conserve my legs for the run, I had to maintain at approximately 25km/h, a speed that was rather slow.

Next up was the 10km run; 2 round of 5km. Starting off slow and steady, I went at a pace of approximately 7minutes/km. It was getting hotter and I could feel the dryness in my mouth. Thank goodness they have the water sprinklers and ample water points.
As I turned the 2.5km mark, I see Mok running in my direction. Cheered him on and he signalled that he's having a strain in his thigh. Damn.
In my mind, a war is going on. To wait for him or to get a better timing? Camaraderie got the better of me. One of the traits that 1 Cdo Bn instilled in me. I went up to the next water point and waited, hoping that he will appear soon.
Mok appeared and off we went. Together, pace by pace we completed the 1st round of 5km.
It was not easy for Mok but perserverance didn't allow him to give up. After having medics looked at him and all, he stood up strong and continued. All the way to the finishing line.
Kudos to Mok. Hoo-rah!


"Never leave a man behind", a quote I was told by one of my trainers in camp. And I will always stand by it, for nothing beats brotherhood, friendship and love. Furthermore, the fastest man is as slow as the slowest man.

Now that the Olympic Distance Triathlon has been tried, more can be achieved.
But not before having a good rest. :)

The addiction is burning,
The passion is hot.
Can you feel the heat?
I hope to see you there.

2 comments:

ah KiaT said...

i like this, very true! "Furthermore, the fastest man is as slow as the slowest man."

congrats triathlete! :)

SURFBOARD said...

haha! thanks bro!
i think it's a statement that requires understanding. :D