Sunday, June 7, 2009

la semaine dernière

I gave up on something big...

It was an event that I ambitiously signed up for; without batting a single eyelid, I clicked "Confirm" and it was point of no return.
Planned the training schedule amidst examinations, and everything sailing smooth. But Murphy's Law just had to occur; a bad footing during a soccer match and it yelled "HALT!" on my training regime. Shit happens.
Then exams came in and wham-pow-kaboom!
D-Day is here.

Some of you might say "You can still opt not to go for it", "Steady lah, not ready still go", etc.
I guess those are people who do not know me, yet.
Maybe it is foolish but I'm just being myself, or maybe it was instilled in me during my NS training.
Nevertheless, I live by the quote "you'll never know, until you've tried it".

Same time last week, I gave up on something big...

Leaving the Pit Stop, I felt all good to go.
"That's it Ben, you're halfway there. Go for it!"
, the mind spoke to the body.
"Let's go, let's go!", yelled the body.

1km, 2km, 3km, almost 4km and there it was; I can just feel it starting to resist the expansion. Damn it, why so soon! Achilles had been dormant and now it is awake.
Pushing the limits, endurance is what I need.
Every step I take, every lift of the heel, Achilles sent a stronger resistance. Unwilling to accept defeat, staggering down the never-ending string of lights to a pace slower than a stroll in the park, I hit the 10.1km mark. Achilles is threatening to put future events away, my heart is raging to finish it.
I had a decision to make; to stop or to risk participation in future events.

That's it. It was not easy.
It was by choice; nobody to blame.
I was not prepared enough. YMCA, as what people said.
Comforting words I got.
Thank you to all.

I will be stronger next year this time.

And I said to someone, your presence is all I need. Truly.
Merci beaucoup.

No comments: